Monday, February 1, 2010

TEACHERS

Shift #19

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 17 – Chestnut/Pierce to Sacramento/Scott -- $5.35


SHE IS BLOND and can’t be more than 25 years old. She’s headed from the Marina District up to Pacific Heights. When she gets in, the radio is on -- Paul Simon is announcing his intention to skip off to Graceland, Graceland… Graceland, Tennessee -- but I turn it off.

“Oh, you don't have to do that,” she says. (Actually, widely-ignored Police Chief regulations say that I do have to turn off the radio when a customer is in the cab -- unless the customer requests otherwise.) “That’s a great song.”

I turn it back on. “What does your day hold?”

She: “I’m off this week. This morning I’m just hanging out a bit, and later I've got some studying to do.”

Me: “Off from what?”

She: “I’m a teacher... kindergarten... and at night I’m getting a Masters in education.”

Me: “I have a 13-year-old daughter, and I remember like yesterday dropping her off for her first day of kindergarten. I learned very quickly how important teachers are, especially kindergarten teachers. Knowing that she would be respected and nurtured and safe... I don’t think I could have let her go if I hadn’t felt all of that was in place. You guys are my heroes.”

“Well,” she says, “thank you. It’s hard work, but it’s also a lot of fun...”

When I tell her I give away a free ride each day, she says, “Oh, you don’t have to do that.”

Me: “I know, but I like to. Especially with teachers.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment